Thursday, 2 April 2009

Boston - from West to East!

I made it trans-American!
I left the Pacific Coast line back on the 12th Feb this year, and a month and a half later, on the 23rd March I arrive at the Atlantic Ocean!

True that when you look at my route direction it looks about as straight as the Amazon River does as it winds its way through the jungle to the coast, but it was still a 'smile on my face' moment to have arrived at the opposite side of America to that which I started on!

I visited Boston with my friend, Sean, another from my car forum. We walked the 'Freedom Trail' which was long and perhaps may have been more interesting if I had studied colonial American history, but none-the-less it went past some of the oldest buildings in Boston and some other interesting places through the town.

I did not get too many photo's in Boston as I found little to photograph of any real interest.
We saw the USS Constitution, which, was unfortunately closed for renovation, and apparently is 1 of only 2 surviving war ships of its class in the world from that era - the other is found in London - HMS Victory (1765). Since hearing this I have been unable to find conclusive evidence online, but still could be one of those interesting things you hear which is true..! Launched into service in 1797 and is still in active service in the US Navy, making it the oldest active military ship in the world - whilst HMS Victory retains the title of oldest military ship still in service - albeit in a premanent position and therefore not 'active'.
.
Next to USS Constitution wasUSS Cassin Young, a WWII Destroyer, which was open for a wander around... Pretty much as you would expect a WWII Destroyer to be really!
.
A trip to the aquarium was also included in our stay in Boston, with some very interesting marine life and good sized tanks. One of which a huge circular tank with all manner of sharks and rays, sea fish of all types all in their own zones, from bottom feeders to surface feeders.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment