Wednesday, 25 March 2009

I went to University!

Well, I arrived at the University campus in a town called Oxford in the state of Ohio on St Patricks day, so you can imagine the environment! Although many students had class early so it wasn't too crazy.

I came to visit a friend of mine who had offered me a place to spend a couple of nights if I wanted it. He very kindly put me in his room and he took up the spare bed in next door's apartment.

I really enjoyed meeting up with Phil and spending some time with him, when his timetable permitted it!

Previously, Adam from Chicago had suggested making the trip north to Dayton for a US Air Force museum, so I took the drive and I have to say, i'm really pleased I did the trip, because it was a fascinating place.

There were planes dating back from the first flight, to WWI, in between wars, WWII, the Cold War, modern era and space flight, including planes from the Soviet Nations, German Luftwaffe and Japanese armies, as well as the odd RAF plane hidden in there, and a couple of planes which were flown from rival countries by defecting pilots!!

Definitely worth a visit, I would recommend it, so many interesting planes there, and history of flight.

I also got to see one of the best known planes of all time, the SR-71 'Blackbird' which is an odd looking thing in real life, it is very long and thin, and looks ungainly, compared to the rather elegant or beautiful shape seen in most photo's...

Pictures here of the US Air Force Museum

After I returned I was going to look around the campus but the weather had other ideas so I stayed inside, with the exception of getting some food with Phil.

From here I made my way further east, through Ohio, West Virginia and into Pennsylvania, before driving into the State of New York, in a town called Albany. A stop over before a drive to Boston, with another friend who lives in Albany. So the next update will be Boston!

Picture of myself and my good friend Phil:


No comments:

Post a Comment