Monday, 23 February 2009

Colorado and Dinosaurs

The third, and final update from tonight, to bring everything up to date, as I mentioned in the first post (skip 2 down and start there!). I am currently at an overnight stop in a town called Grand Junction, to the north-east of the state of Colorado.

One of the state's I was most looking forward to seeing was Colorado, but thanks to constant rain and heavy low lying cloud, I have not seen much of it as yet...

As you will see in these photographs there was little point to photograph much at all, at times I could not see to the front of the car - it does have a long engine compartment but it is not that long! for the most part the photo's I took have absorbed much more mist than I saw, so although I was at times looking at beautiful cloud formations, all you see in the photo's are big grey blobs... nice.

I am sure the views from this national park are stunning, and when the clouds occasionally parted it was a new kind of scenery, not desert-like, but lush and mountainous, another beautiful sight, unfortunately not able to be displayed for you to see.

Anyway, a few photo's from the Colorado National Monument here, despite the mist covering up much of the beauty.

You would never tell that before I left Utah this morning my car was spotless and clean, would you?!
And for those family & friends who knew me/remember me from when I was much younger and my immense interest in dinosaurs and all things scaley and reptillian, then you may appreciate why when I am travelling through "Dinosaur Country" as much of these states of America are, I would be taking opportunities to visit dinosaur related places. Just before entering the Colorado National Monument Park, and shortly after entering the state of Colorado, I came across a dinosaur place called Dinosaur Journey, a smallish building filled with skeletons and lifesize replica's of several dinosaurs. Some very interesting fossils and interesting facts to pick up - nothing too heavy, all of light interest to a dinosaur enthusiast such as myself, before going too deep!

Many of their replica's were robotic and moved, although the Stegosaurus seemed to have lost its voice! You could even take control of one of the dinosaurs and move him yourself. There was also a replication of a Utahraptor. For those who have seen Jurassic Park will know what a Velociraptor is like, a smallish pack hunting dinosaur, very ferocious, with a very large claw on its foot. Well the Utahraptor has all that, but is twice the size, strength and ferocity. and to put that into perspective they had a moving eating Utahraptor with his prey's head taken clean off, quite a surprise when you walk past!! It is done quite well though, a photo is included in the link, if you so wish!


A young fossilized Aligator found local to the museum:


Tomorrow I travel onward to the town of Colorado Springs, with a few days to explore the area, hopefully a little more Dinosaur'ing and to visit Pikes Peak, famous to me through rally cars, although it has it's own fame for different reasons - weather permitting I may take the train to the top! Time will tell, updates should all be back on schedule again, fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment