Monday, 16 February 2009

a fantastic time in Vegas!


Thanks Skip for showing me around Las Vegas and the surrounding area, and for the kind use of your house, it was great to see you again!

Firstly I would like to say here that I have tried on more than one occasion to reply to comments posted - I appreciate all of them but for some reason my account will not let me, even though i've gone through all the settings hundreds of times - I can't even post with no account reference so maybe it is the laptop at fault, i'm not sure. However I do appreciate all the comments and I will try to answer them in the following post I create in the future. It is good to hear from you all while I am travelling!

The drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas took a side route through the Mojave Desert, which was fascinating to see and gave me a couple of photo opportunities - mostly of the car although there is some scenery to be found here too!!

See pictures those pictures HERE

As Skip mentioned in his previous comment I have been staying with him and seen Vegas from a much better side than if I were simply a tourist.
In chronological order of pictures taken, click on the line of text to be taken to my photo account.

Shelby Automobiles Factory
Valley of Fire and Lake Mead Park
Las Vegas - The Strip and Downtown
The Hoover Dam
Lamborghini Las Vegas
Imperial Palace Car Collection
- where all the cars are for sale!
Mount Charlston - Las Vegas Ski Resort - Yes, that means snow!

Valley of Fire was spectacular, some really great driving roads to get the feel for the Mustang, and some great photo opportunites, the weather was just right, although perhaps a little on the cooler side thanks to a winter breeze. I think this is one of the places that will remain in my memory forever, I am told I will be seeing more spectacular scenery later in my travels, but this certainly left a mark with me.

Las Vegas was not exactly hot, due mostly to being the back end of winter, even so, a few light rain showers of an evening did nothing to stop the winter sun appearing during the day. I have included a few photos and a couple of video's where I think they are required.

The Hoover Dam is quite something, it is most deceptive, it looks small, even when stood at the top in the middle looking down, it is only when you compare it to a car or person you realise how massive it really is! The middle of the dam is split between Nevada and Arizona, meaning that at this time of the year, the Arizona half of the bridge is 1 hour ahead of the Nevada side.

Lamborghini Las Vegas is housed within the Palazio Hotel (I think that was the name, bad memory), and is directly on 'The Strip'. It is by far the classiest dealership I have ever come across, it just screams class and wealth, everything is displayed so well with a wonderful warm feeling - something which lacks in many exotic dealers (well most car dealers), especially a franchise dealer like this one. They had a Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Porsche, Spyker and Aston Martin in there too, despite it being a Lamborghini dealership (i'm not compalining though!)

The Imperial Palace Car Collection is an amazing collection of cars from all over the world - many in fact are from the UK, with UK plates still fitted until they are sold. All the cars, unless stated otherwise (only 2 or 3) are for sale, for the right money - no it is not the cheapest place to buy a car but there were one or two reasonably priced cars in there I thought.

Mount Charlston is very close to Las Vegas, so close in fact it is called the Las Vegas Ski Resort at this time of year, no guessing why, but take a look at the photo's, would you honestly say that I only a matter of minutes away from a town built in the desert out of nothing?

There are now some images of the car in daylight which I have been promted to show found in the above links, in the desert and in the snow.

I have arrived in Utah now as I write this, with less than promising weather ahead of me which is a shame as I was hoping to visit the Grand Canyon along with some other spectacular National Parks around here.
If the weather does go against me then you can expect an update from today's photo's pretty soon I think!

I hope that everyone everywhere who is reading this is well, I will try to update this more frequently, although processing and uploading photo's takes quite a while, I have taken well over 600 photo's already - so as you will see, there are a very few shown here - firstly so to not have too many and secondly it takes so long, I would never get out and about!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos and posts! Keep on truckin' -We're following along like a 'backseat driver!'

    ReplyDelete